You never know when you will need your car shipped from Ohio. You might need this service if you are moving across the state or across the country. You could be moving for a variety of reasons, including job changes, and moving closer to family.
There are many vehicle transportation companies around Ohio. You can find them by doing a web search for car transport companies in Ohio to find the company that is right for you. Be careful to do the research that you need to make sure that you choose a reputable company. You don’t want to lose your auto to an unscrupulous business.
This article will tell you a little about the vehicle transport companies. It should answer some questions that you might have had. You can also do more research to find the answers that you are looking for.
- Enclosed or Open Shipping – There are two basic ways that you can ship your car with a transport company – enclosed or open trailers. An enclosed trailer is one that is closed on all sides. An open trailer is one that is open to the elements.
- Research to Find the Right Company – You must do a lot of research to find the right company for you. What might be good for one person might not be right for you. Make sure that you read online reviews from customers that have dealt with the different companies.
You can also check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to see what they have to say about the companies you are looking at. A good car transportation company should meet these three requirements: a good safety record, below average out-of-service percentages, and authorized to transport vehicles. The FMCSA will also let you know if the company is a broker or a carrier.
- Watch Out for the Brokers – You want to work with a carrier rather than a broker. A broker will find you a carrier, but they won’t always choose the best one for the job: https://wp.nyu.edu/dispatch/identifying-differences-between-auto-transport-companies-and-brokers/. If you choose a broker, you never know who they will choose for you. Choosing a carrier yourself will allow you to do the research and find one that checks out.
- Check for Deposits – Some companies will charge a deposit to transport your auto. The more reputable companies that have been in business for awhile will not require a deposit. They will have you pay in full when the vehicle has been delivered.
- Don’t Make a Judgement on Prices Alone – The lowest price carrier is not always the best. Remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes you need to pay a little more for quality service. Sometimes you will get a good deal but research the company thoroughly to make sure that you know what you are getting into.
- The Carrier Should Have Insurance – The carrier should at least have minimum insurance that will cover your vehicle if something happens during transport. You want to make sure that your company has at least two million dollars in coverage. This will protect your car and the others that are on the trailer.
- Let the Carrier Know About Your Scheduling Needs – There are many variables that the car shipping companies run into each day. Because of these, you need to make sure that you give them a time and day that you need to have your vehicle at its destination. The transporter needs to worry about weather, traffic, and other things that might delay them. They will try and get your auto at its destination at the time and day that you request, but this isn’t always possible.
- Don’t Forget to Prepare Your Vehicle – You need to prepare your vehicle by cleaning it out and making sure that is operable. You should also check for scratches, dents, and dings and take pictures of it. The carrier should do an inventory on your auto before they take possession of it.
All personal items should be removed from your auto, as well. The shipping company won’t insure your personal items so if they are lost or stolen you will just lose them. The items might also damage your vehicle and other vehicles on the trailer.
- Let the Carrier Know About Any Special Features on Your Car – If your vehicle has special features such as kill switches, alarms, and brakes that require the auto to be running before they work, you need to tell the carrier. These things can affect the way that your car is transported. See how that could affect your transportation here. You will also need to let them know about how to turn off some of these switches.
- Inspection at Pick Up and Delivery – As was mentioned before, you will need to have a pick-up inspection done when the car shipper picks your car up. They should document everything they see such as scratches, dents, and dings. They will compare this with a delivery inspection to make sure that your car is still in the same condition.
These are some of the things that you should know about car shipping companies. They will help you to choose the right company to do the job. Make sure that you do your research so that you will find the right company.